Oh Hi there! Sorry for the MIAness. I have no good reason.
honestly, I have been a brat. yep. I have been moping lately. and feeling sorry for myself. I have been a big fat cry baby and I don’t know why.
No..that’s a lie. I know why… I am a twenty something girl with a dead-end job that doesn’t know where she is going or how to get there. I also think my training cycle doesn’t help. I mean, getting up at 3:30 most days is my choice because it’s what works best for my schedule, but eventually it will take a toll on you. I don’t even want to START talking about the taper crazies that will happen in a few short days…..
I have a great life. Really… I have my health, my family, my friends, I have it all really. But the past few days I have had a hardcore case of the blahs and I wasn’t in the mood to post. Rather than doing something I enjoy (blogging) I decided to be a waste and continue to feel sorry for myself for no reason. This chick posted a similar blog today and it made me feel better. Yea, that’s bitch. I guess misery loves company…but she helped open my eyes that how I feel is kinda normal and I need to get over it.
This weather. amazing.
Crunching park leaves
Fall flavored nail polish
And even a sweater thrown in there!
So what if I was wearing cropped pants with it
Other than enjoying the changing season I have also been following my training plan to a T. So, like I said a while back I have a coach that I am working with for this training cycle. We communicate via email every day and depending on how my legs feel he adjusts my training plan accordingly. I figured now that I am in my final week of heavy training I would update you on how its going!
Overall the training is awesome but there are a few things that have surprised me.
- I don’t run super high mileage weeks. I workout 6 days a week but not always running. Whether it is 20 minutes or an hour, I am either biking, swimming or on the elliptical every day. I have never cross trained more in my life
- Not having high mileage weeks messes with my head. I read all these other marathon blogs and they are all running 50+ miles a week. umm…. now that I am into the high teens on my long runs I am in the 40’s but that is only because of my long run. I typically trained at 35-40 mile weeks for a half. This is messing with my head. For my brain I wish I was running high mileage but really, so far so good. And I think my legs agree
- Every minute of my runs are calculated. From a 15 minute warm up at a certain pace to the pace of my 10 minute cool down. There is not one run where I just go out there and run. It works well though. Most of the paces are comfortable or a little challenging so I don’t hate how strict it is. I am sure if I had to run a sucky pace all the time I would hate it.
- It’s not the same every week. Any other race I have trained for I was always all about a schedule. Tuesdays were for speed, Thursdays was a mid-distance type run..always the same each week. Yes, I still have long run Saturdays and Sunday rest days but other than that, it’s different each week.
- Running for time doesn’t suck as bad as I thought. This was the huge ‘huh?!’ for me when I first started working with him. I was used to setting out for 4 miles, not 3o minutes. The only time I hate this is when I cut a run too short and need to do multiple laps around my neighborhood to make up time. That sucks.
Like I said, so far so good. I am learning a lot and making sure to ask questions along the way. The one thing the coach said to me was “Trust me” in the very beginning and that’s what I have done. Less than a month out until race day.
Now…. I need to really get working on my confidence….
How is your training going!? Any awesome tidbits of information you want to share?! TELL ME!